[V8Vairs] Response to Kelmark Conversion ?

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed May 11 10:54:12 EDT 2005

Don,  Matt's suggestion although a good one, in a Kelmark conversion,
requires a bit of care in installation.  Still have to get around the
engine.  And make sure the H-pattern is one you want, i.e. not reversed.
Reference your questions, though,

1.  Certainly a weld or sloppy housing in your shifter components, worn ball
at the lower end of the shift shaft (the one in the driver's compartment
with ball on the end), worn shift base/housing bushings, worn front stamped
or cast frame of the shift tube, worn out nylon or (aftermarket bronze
bushings), worn coupler if used, worn coupler hole or pin - where it
connects to transmission will all cause sloppy shifting. Inside the
transmission, worn shifter forks will feel sloppy.  Renew as they say, or
repair, those items, including the shifter housing bushings.

2. Four spider gear set up is the standard answer.  Cooling is helpful but
dropping the clutch or heavy WOT shifting will break diff gears, I am told.

Chuck S