[V8Vairs] Response to Kelmark Conversion ?

PatioMatt at aol.com PatioMatt at aol.com
Wed May 11 14:57:32 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/11/2005 10:30:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
SadekCH at NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:

> We have heard that running off the backside of the gear is "bad" and there
> is general consensus that the ring rear and/or pinion wears rapidly. Why is
> this?
> Could a stock ring gear (and Pinion?) be re-machined - the backside of the
> gear - to put the proper bevel or whatever plus hardening to alleviate the
> failure mode that has been observed? I have not seen any solution proposed
> other than to have new gears made.
>
> Chuck s

Since no one is set up to cut "backside gears"  it would be $$$$  prohibitive

Several "reverse cut"  gearsets were made.......some were not
hardened.......and no one has made a new run...

These put the pinion back by the engine....

I think our Sandman / Mucho HP  guy runs a set...

Matt