[V8Vairs] More Quadrajet Questions

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Thu Nov 3 21:26:21 EST 2005

I  am planning on having Ken Hand rebuild my Carburetor on my Toro-Vair at
some point.  I spent all my money in Palm Springs this last weekend, so it
will have to wait a few weeks.  Any way I have been daily driving
(grinning ear to ear) the car
for almost two weeks now.   I have been getting 12.2 mpg.  Well today I
took the carb off along with doing some other cleaning and stuff on the
engine.  All the vacuum plugs were shot, so I put new ones on.  I noticed
it has mechanical linkage to operate the secondaries.  Apparently it had
been modified?  They open at 1/2 throttle.  I assume this is not as good
for mileage as vacuum operated secondaries?  Is it easy/possible to switch
back?  Carburetor is off of a 73 Cadillac.  Thinking I should look
for another one in the junkyard for parts.

-Geoff Johnson