[V8Vairs] New Car & Questions

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 02:06:02 EDT 2005

Oh, one other thing to mention about the QJ carb:  If you seem to have an
unusually rich mixture or the carb leaks down after parking, (long crank time)
check for leaking secondary well plugs.  Back in the day (I was a Chevy parts
man in the 70s) we had two aftermarket kits that the tune-up guys installed in
every QJ they overhauled.  Kit #1 was a set of brass plugs with o-rings that
went in place of the factory soft-metal plugs.  These puppies were a little
bigger than 1/4" diameter.  Kit #2 was a 1/4" thick high-density foam block,
roughly triangular, that went into the casting cavity over the first kit. Each of
these kits were supposed to stop the fuel from leaking out of the float bowl
and into the intake.  The tune-up guys installed both of them to guarantee a
leak-free bowl.
C. Nicol