[V8Vairs] RE:Searching for a value

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed Oct 26 13:14:31 EDT 2005

That Valkerie-which I never really liked-and am now changing my mind-looks
like it would be a great project as the frame appears done and the engine
mounted. However, I agree with Seth, not enough years for ANOTHER project
since there are several in the pipeline I would love to do...

Chuck S
BBRT

-----Original Message-----
From: Sethracer at aol.com [mailto:Sethracer at aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:19 PM
To: v8vairs at corvair.org; mclark67 at charter.net; Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil
Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] RE:Searching for a value

In a message dated 10/26/2005 8:01:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil writes:

One  thing I know - he doesn't have a gold mine. Non-running project
Corvairs
are plentiful so don't get too attached to this one. I think  buying a
running V-8 Corvair with decent paint and interior is a whole lot  cheaper
than trying to get a non-running barnyard car street worthy. One  problem
with these cars is a lot of people hired Mickey Mouse as their  design
engineer and Goofy as the fabricator. If the installation looks  hokey, it
is, and you'll have to fix it eventually. If you can't drive it,  it's not
worth much more than the cost of a non-running parts car, a core  engine
(that costs a lot more than a small block Chevy to rebuild), and  whatever
parts are good.

If you want a V-8 Corvair, there are more  of them sitting around than you'd
think.

Bob  Thomas

I can second Bob's comment. The one I bought -and later sold - was bought
as
a non-runner. It had been maintained, however, and all the systems that were

in need of repair were identified. Actually, the reason I sold it was
because
 the builder, the guy I bought it from, had bought into the Crown pitch,
"You can get this V8 car running for the price of a kit and an old Corvair".

Many items on the car were not up to current standards, although the car
was a
runner after fixing the known issues. Maybe if I was more ignorant (I.e. I
had
never seen Rick Norris' car) I would have been more accepting of the car as

it was - a 1973 backyard project hotrod. I guess I am more sophistimakated
now.  Now, that Valkyrie for sale on Ebay (
_http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4584219626_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4584219626) )
looks  like the building block for a
great project. - But I don't have enough  years left in this hobby to
undertake
that kind of effort!

- Seth Emerson

Several V8s - just not in Vairs at the moment!