[V8Vairs] RE: Audi Transaxle

jim.acker at comcast.net jim.acker at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 14:38:06 EDT 2006

I've done quite a bit of research on alternative transaxles and can recommend only three.  The Audi 016 and 01E can be modified to hold up to the torque of a mild V8, say between 300-400 ft lbs.  The 01e is rare in 2WD and needs to be provisioned form overseas.  The 016 is easy to find, but needs some machine work to address it's weak spot.  After you do work, you are approaching the cost of better options.

Renault also makes a box used in Lotus and one Chryler import model which is also popular, especially in Australia.  There is a chap in Englan who does extensive mods to make these bozes hold up to more power than the Audi can take, but the currency conversion makes it pricey.

There are also a number of Porsche options, though the only one that makes sense is the 930 4-speed and the later versions of the G50, e.g. the G50 20 and G50 50.  My own choice was the 930, which has a ring gear just short of 9" and is built from the factory to be abused.  The ring gear needs to be flipped, which requires machine work and knowledge.  I bought mine from Powerhaus II in Colorado and am very pleased.  The owner is Roger Brown and he has been a pleasure to work with.  His number is 303-442-4327.

The ultimate option, short of Archibald Evans Supper Vair set-up, is from Mendeola.  They have several tranaxles capable of high torque V8 output, but they are very expensive.  If you want to drop over $10K on a Mendeola, the only argument over Arch's kit is that the engine position will allow a more comfortable seating arrangement.  All the other true transaxles have some compromise that brings you back to Porsche, Mendela or Arch.

If anyone wants detailed information on all this, I have mountains.  My transaxle selection took me 4 months of daily research.  I am happy to pass it along. The key question is what you want to run for a power plant.  In my case, I'm planning a 350-400 bhp SBC with under 400 ft lbs of torque.  The options I listed above address that.  If you go over 500 bhp, Arch is the only guy with a reliable answer under $15,000.

Jim Acker