[V8Vairs] Re: V8Vairs Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4

Steve Goodman rearengine.steve at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 15 23:21:04 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Goodman <rearengine.steve at worldnet.att.net>
To: discussion of non-stock engines in Corvairs <v8vairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] Re: V8Vairs Digest, Vol 17, Issue 4

The 'near dimension' seals I found
> would run on the smaller shaft diameter of the actual input shaft.  Sorry
> but I don't have those dimensions here or in my head.  It is not quite as
> tight a fit on the inner diameter as the stock input shaft seals and since
> the trans end of the input shaft is slightly larger too, it isn't easy to
> slip a bushing over the shaft; that would be way too easy.

> Best, Steve

Hello all:  I mic'd a couple of input shafts today to refresh my memory.
Here are the
dimensions:
Stock 'early' shaft at the seal area is .700"
Stock 'late' shaft at the seal area is   .770"
Stock 'late' shaft below the seal area is .690"

With that in mind, is a mere .010" smaller enough to not allow the early
seal to
work on the late shaft?  Probably a pair of them stacked anyway using the
new release bearing shafts.  My idea of installing a third seal on the
inside of
the release bearing shaft may or may not be needed.  Of course it would be
a pain to change that seal, the diff would have to be disassembled similar
the PG diffs.

There is also a reference by Steve Semon on the placement of the pilot
bushing,
there is a possible problem with the bushing being too far out of the crank
and
similarly if the bushing is too far into the crank then the input shaft has
room to
move back and forth.

Hope some of this helps.

Best, Steve