[V8Vairs] looking for

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Fri Oct 6 18:43:31 EDT 2006

Steven,

You can still buy the adapters from Clarks to put the big car Saginaw into a
mid-engine Corvair.  I'm told that the only part not available is the
shifter mechanism, and you could get around that by using a Hurst shifter
with push-pull Morse-type cables.  You would need to mount the cables at
each end with a bracket of some sort.  The V6 will give you 4-5" more leg
room than a V8, and this would allow you to use the stock diff so no hassles
with adapting to the drive shafts, as with a Porsche transaxle.

I have a sub-frame and fiberglass seat/engine cover available, but with a V6
you can use stock type seats because of the extra room.

A V6 is nice, and you can always add a turbo if you need more power...

Chris Wills