[V8Vairs] Jim Acker's Transaxle

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Tue Aug 7 21:26:39 EDT 2007

The 944 has the same transaxle as the 2 wheel drive Audi 5000 and is an
excellent option for limited horsepower.  The link provided is a bit over
enthusiastic about the strength of the box, claiming 500HP and 400+ ft/lbs
of torque.  A more realistic figure would be that a stock 290 HP SBC V8
would be near the upper limits of this box.  The main draw back of the Audi
is a very low first gear.  The link has a very good modification for the 016
box, which is the easier to find and less expensive one.  I actually
contacted the guy and got the specs for the plate seen in the webpage.  I
almost did this.

On the other hand, more horsepower pretty much eliminates all Porshe boxes
except the 930, which quickly gets you into the $5K, or one of the newer six
speeds.  I chose the 930 and am very happy with it.  The six speeds must be
run inverted, which is hard to do in a Corvair and maintain reasonable
ground clearance.  They are also very expensive.  I did a lot of research on
this stuff and I would suggest Audi for low budget, Porsche 930 for
mid-budget and Mendeola for big budget.  Good luck if you give any of these
a try.

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/5000/5000.asp