[V8Vairs] Re: V8Vairs Digest, New Member!

Butterworth, James R JRButterworth at directv.com
Mon Jul 23 10:57:34 EDT 2007

Although I am not sure this request was directed at me, I am new to the
list so here goes. I don't own a Corvair now but I did own one (65 140
coupe) back in 1971 I bought for $350, my first car. I was also a member
of CORSA back then. Anyway fast forward through college, grad school,
marriage, two kids and many German cars I still haven't shaken the bug.
I will be looking for a Corvair in the near future.

So here is my plan, you guys can tell me whether I belong here or not.
People like Corvairs for a variety of reason (anti big Government,
novelty, nostalgia, etc) for me it symbolizes the last time one of the
big three actually took a chance and did something different and for
various reasons GM didn't hang in there. In my view, had GM continued
down this logical path they might have retained their 50% world wide
market share, but I digress. In any event, I view a Corvair as a blank
tapestry hung on a basically good frame (unibody, 4 wheel independent
suspension, light weight, etc.). My plan is to take what I have learned
over the years to build a solid road race type car based on a Corvair.
Although I can appreciate the engineering involved in a top fuel drag
racer it really doesn't interest me. My vision is to build a car that I
can take to track days, run in the Silver State open road race and also
drive on the street if necessary but it won't be a daily driver. The
other appealing aspect of the Corvair is its age, the State of
California won't bother me as much.

Anyway, the plan is to build a mid engine Corvair, hence my subscription
to this list. In all probability it will not be a V8 because of the
weight (although I did consider a Northstar) and aging technology of the
SBC although the SBC is certainly cost effective HP. I will not likely
use the Corvair transaxle or derivations for strength and placement
reason. I do plan to use as many GM parts as possible such as a variant
of the C5 rear suspension. I suspect I will spend 100x the cost of my
first car but it will be more fun than a new C6.

Well this has probably gone on long enough, if for some reason you think
my participation in this list will be disruptive please let me know. I
will help wherever I can. BTW, I live in LA. - Jim