[V8Vairs] test - Lexan Back Glass

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Dec 11 16:09:06 EST 2008

??? When I made mine I used a sheet bigger than the window it's self but only slightly. I then "C" clamped it to the window and I used a propane torch. You can just never stop in one spot with the torch?and must always move the flame, sorta fast. Test on a corner until you get the feel for it. I then heated the lexan and let it form over the big center part of the glass, one side at a time. I then "C" clamped farther down and kept heating outboard in small then larger areas. You will have to have more that just the pencil tip on your torch.?I also used the clamps to help bend the lexan as I got towards the outer curves. Before you take the clamps off mark the lexan so you know where to cut it. You can use a padded jig saw and a fine blade, use a file to finish the edges smooth.

?? When I was finished, it was semi professional looking. the reason I say semi is that if you looked close at the top corners where the curve is, the lexan was a little flatter than it shoud have been. If I didn't tell you about it you would never notice, go take a look Bill. I also used the rubber window ribon to install the lexan as I didn't want leaks and then I put the trim back over it. The screws that were in the trim were there before I got the car and I just re-used them along with the trim clips.

??? The window has been installed for 5 years now.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com