[V8Vairs] Drag Strip Class?

Larry larry at 3kittys.com
Tue Dec 16 11:23:44 EST 2008

I am probably the least qualified to answer your question since I've
only run my Torvair once on the strip at Lebanon Valley NY. When I
pulled into tech, they asked me what times I expected to turn.  Since I
had no idea I put myself in the 14-15 second class.  There were no
specific safety requirements other than the norm like battery hold down.
They did not even require a helmet! I only did two test runs with my
best being a 14.0 at 100 mph.  This is on street tires, street start
from the line and hesitating to be sure I had traction. If I had dipped
into the 13's, a helmet was required. since I'm an old road racer, I
wore a helmet and driving suit that I already have.  You can never be
over protected. My understanding is the the Crown conversion can easily
get into the 12's.  Maybe your local track is different.  This was a
bracket racing event.

A roll cage (and /or safety cage), helmet, fire resistant gloves, socks,
shoes and suit are good to have regardless of the class you run.  Yuo
can get a nice class 1 fire suit and such for about $300 plus helmet.
Get a full face type. Open face have minimal protection.  A parachute is
way overkill.

my $ .02

Larry