[V8Vairs] Rear Suspensions

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Wed Feb 20 16:45:10 EST 2008

Another way to reduce toe changes is to change to a De Dion setup.  Weld a tube between the control arms to tie them together (may have to put a "yoke" in it to clear the trannsmission.  Throw away the lower control arms.  This gives you the geometry of a solid rear axle (no camber change on acceleration, and tires stay perpendicular to the road in corners)
but it is lighter than a solid rear end since the diff isn't moving.  You could add static camber of a degree or two if you wanted also.  you still would get a small amount of rear end steering due to the control arms moving in an arc, as the car leans.

I've seen this done on a V8 - may try it to see how it works...

Chris Wills
65 Vair, 283 with twin turbos