[V8Vairs] Torvair Front Weight

Larry larry at 3kittys.com
Thu Jan 10 10:03:40 EST 2008

I finally got my Torvair into the shop for alignment, cross weighting
and dyno test. The alignment was off some but not enough to cause the
problem with getting the front end to stick in a corner.  The car
weighed in at 3400 lbs with only 1000 in the front. That is just
under 30% and the cross weight was off on the right front.  The cross
weight was easily corrected. We tried shifting some of the weight
forward by raising the rear suspension but the weight difference on
the front was minimal.  From my racing experience, anything under 40%
front weight can be dangerous when turning.  The next experiment will
be to add removable, secured lead weight above the front axle. This
way I can remove or adjust the "Wheelie Control System " as desired.

We also ran the car on his dynamometer and discovered the rings were
not seated on the first two runs. When they finally seated, it
recorded 440lbs of torque at the rear wheels.  The horsepower reading
seemed low at 380 but the torque converter lock was at 2700 and his
system reads in second gear only. The engine tuning has not been
optimized yet so there is more power there.

It seems crazy to have to add about 400 lbs but having the car
understeer in a corner is no fun either.

Can't wait until the car season is here. We had very uncommon 60
degree weather here in Connecticut the last few days and now the
temperature is dropping like a stone.

Larry