[V8Vairs] Torvair Front Weight

Thomas, Robert R Civ 76 PMXG/OBPE Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil
Thu Jan 10 14:45:22 EST 2008

I wonder if you can control the lack of adequate traction in the front
through suspension changes rather than adding weight. Is the car grossly
understeering now? My somewhat stock '68 500 pushed terribly under
acceleration, a result of transferring weight to the back of the car. It
was controlled by removing the front anti-sway bar and using stiffer
rear shocks and springs. Adding a rear A/S bar would have worked too.
More air pressure in the front tires helped a lot.

I will not add weight to a car to make it handle better.  400 pounds
would adversely affect braking, fuel consumption (as if that's a
consideration with such a large engine) and handling except in the one
instance of accelerating out of a turn.

My current car's front track width is an inch wider than stock, partly
to help with turn-in.

What have you done to the engine to get that much HP?

YMMV.

Bob Thomas
former 402 BBC Mid-engineering
current 350 L98 TH325 under construction