[V8Vairs] Torvair Front Weight

Thomas, Robert R Civ 76 PMXG/OBPE Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil
Fri Jan 11 06:46:37 EST 2008

My tires are 235-60x14, front and back. Plenty of bite. I'm using 14s
because I got a set of vintage Shelby miniltes at a remarkable price and
then a person sold me a set of 5 new tires for about the price of 2.
They were too big for his 390 Fairlane... 15s would be a better deal to
get a bigger footprint and better selection.

You front tires are surely way too small, IMHO.

Once you get to driving faster, you should be careful about the back end
coming loose if it's that stiff. Bumpy curves will make the car skip
sideways. I went around a 90 degree turn at 25mph at work this morning
and the back end of my car (non-Corvair to my shame) skipped sideways
about a foot because of wavy asphalt caused by heavy trucks. I'll bet
the guy next to me on the outside of the turn awakened quickly. A friend
trashed his '65 Monza by sliding backwards off a back road
(Auburn-Folsom road for Northern Californians). He'd installed helper
springs to lift the back of his car in spite of me telling him not to.
The back suspension was rock hard and the bumpy road sent him into a
chain link fence. Of course he had side pipes on his otherwise stock
car. Flex pipe running all the way to the front of the side pipes.

That's a chunk of HP out of a mildly modified engine. That's impressive.
Are you using a TH325L transaxle?

Bob Thomas
68 Monza