[V8Vairs] Saginaw/T5..

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 16:54:02 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/30/2008 1:11:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com writes:

..no,Chris,that's 5th gear,,reverse is "identical" to the Saginaw  inside the
case,driven off 1-2 synchro..whether the gears *can be* installed  is the
first reason 'why not',the T5 top cover is bigger than the Saginaw side
cover..the T5's big gear on the countershaft is 4" dia,and the thrust bearing  end-end
appears to be 8 1/8",about 1/2" less than the Saginaw...btw,has anyone  done
or thought of making a big-car Saginaw mainshaft end to press-fit into  the
Corvair mainshaft? That seems to be the route I'm headed,given the lack of
Crown parts and expense of re-splining mainshafts...Tom  Z..//

Ironically, Tom - Chris Wills is the guy who did the adapters to put  the
big-car Saginaw into the Corvair, complete with side cover shifting, etc.  I'm
sure he can answer I do have another question, though. Could the main  input
shaft of the big-car Saginaw and the Big-car output shaft be modified  (cut and
splined?) to engage the Corvair differential, so all of the internal  parts of
the trans would be JUST like the original Saginaw? Or has that already  been
done. I have always heard of the "Fragility" of the shaft to shaft needle
bearings in the Crown set-up. COuld this be designed out? - Seth  Emerson