[V8Vairs] Builders of late models

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 19:00:59 EDT 2008

If you are in the throes of building a 65-up Corvair into a mid-engined
conversion, you may be trying to address what to do with the front ends of the
semi-trailing arm rear suspension. Stock has a rubber bushing, controlled by a
inner pivoting control rod. The inner pivot point determines what kind of toe
change you will get during suspension travel (up or down) and therefore what
additional toe you get during hard cornering. Stock usually pulls and pushes
the  stock arms into turning into the direction of the turn. This is certainly
 better than the other option, turning out. But another easy option is now
available. Dave Clemens is selling a kit to replace the rubber bushing in the
front of the arm with a captured spherical ball bearing. You press the
complete  bushing and the shell out and press in the new housing. The actual bearing
is  replacable with the housing remaining in the arm. The housing is tack
welded in  place to restrain it from left and right movement. His kit includes the
tapered  spacers to locate the bearing in the right position. This
installation removes  the need for any other control rods for the trailing arm. (and any
type of inner  pivot) It definitely tightens up control of the suspension.
Removal of the  rubber also adds jarring to the ride, since there is no rubber
for compliance. I  installed the 2nd prototype for this kit in my "Stinger" and
drove it at Willow  Springs and Ventura. The car handled great with seemingly
no ill effects -  counting the stiffer ride as a handling accessory! I have
three of these kits  (each kit installs a pair of arms). I displayed them at
the V8 Corvair meet at  the convention. The kits are $90 plus a little shipping.
If you want more, or a  photo, just drop me a note. - Seth Emerson  -
sethracer at aol.com