[V8Vairs] [fastvair] Corvair V8 - Crown Conversion

GnKHOFFMAN at aol.com GnKHOFFMAN at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 17:27:02 EDT 2008

Bryan:

The e-mail address I had for Greg Riley is _gsriley1 at sbcglobal.net_
(mailto:gsriley1 at sbcglobal.net) ;  I don't  know if he sells them directly or not.

Greg's book isn't a hardbound book; it is holepunched and bound with one of
those plastic binders.  There are a couple of sources, including  e-bay.  The
e-bay one is listed at $30; but the cover price is  $19.95.  I beileve it can
be bought from Clarks. .....  The book was  published by "Garage DeLuxe, PO
Box 2155 Cleveland Texas, 77328, _www.garagedlx.com_ (http://www.garagedlx.com)
" (copy writed  2005).

For me, the book was well worth the $20 plus shipping.  I insured my  car
with Hagerty (and typically Hagerty's rules are they don't insure  kit-cars).  My
agent submitted portions of the book to Hagerty, and they  decided to insure
my car ....... as a standard Corvair (probably because they  didn't have any
other way to classify it).  My work in progress V8 car  (which is a driver
while I am fixing it up) is insured for $6K, and my  restored1946 CJ2A Willys is
insured for $9K.  Full coverage, no deductible,  and my annual premium for both
is $172.  Regular insurance with Farmers,  without collision, would have been
twice that.

The book isn't in-depth detailed, but is a great overview.  It is 100  pages
long (pretty large print), and the table of contents reads...  Introduction,
Acknowledgements, Ted Trevor & The Corv-8, Racing heritage,  Kelmark, Mid
Engineering, Buick Olds Pontiac V-8, Adellc & The Super 'Vair,  Other V-8 Corvairs,
Transaxles, Cooling Systems, Other Tech Highlights, Lob Buck  Road Rocket,
Rouge's Gallery, Resources, Definitions.    The "Ted  Trevor & The Corv-8"
section is the one on Crown conversions, and is 14  pages long (again, it doesn't
go into great detail).

If you join the V8 Registry, you can get some copies of other manuals  etc;
see
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/v8vairs/techarticles.htm

In a message dated 6/29/2008 8:45:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,