[V8Vairs] re-splining a solid mainshaft,and...

tom zimmermann s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 25 11:00:29 EDT 2008

With the transaxle back in Ron B's yellow car,I'm pulling all my stuff back out to do a Wills-type conversion..before I call Moser to get the solid mainshaft cold-splined, anybody know the specs of the 16-tooth Corvair spline,should they ask me? To eliminate the adapter plates,I'm going to cut the bellhousing ears off a truck 3-sp case and weld onto a Corvair 3-sp case (machined for the side-lever cover)...I've also been toying with adapting the transmission to the REAR end of the diff case,so the mid-engine is bolted to the former trans surface,utilizing the hollow-shaft design and 'off-the-shelf' parts from both Corvair and big-car boxes;;anyone want to kick this idea around ??  TIA,Tom Z..//