[V8Vairs] T56 "Transaxle" from Corvette

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 01:25:12 EDT 2008

The C5/C6 Corvette uses a transaxle in the rear. It has a driveshaft  running
at engine speed and the input gear is at the front of the T56 6-speed  behind
the driver. Does anybody know if it would be possible to hollow the main
shaft/shafts of the T56 to drive it from the rear like the Corvair transaxle is
driven? I know there would be a lot of custom work. The differential pinion
shaft, I believe, is already hollow.  Of course, I am wondering this  because
of the possible usage of this set-up in a Corvair with the engine in the  stock
location. Has anybody studied this or looked at any dimensions? - Seth
Emerson