[V8Vairs] value

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Thu Feb 19 23:41:19 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "thumper racing" <out4fun69 at msn.com>
Subject: [V8Vairs] value

hi im interested in mabye purchasing a v8 vair and im wondering whats a
basic value to put on a decent shape 65' with a crown conversion 350, the
car itself is clean n nice, jus wondering what i should b lookin at paying?
thanx 4 your time ..jason
**************
Hi... always fun to talk "whats it worth".

Just to get another slice at this, let us look at the world of guns, another
of my other life's interest.  Basically, a good gun never wears out, and
over 60 years will be doing the same thing for you that you originally
bought it for ......   mostly, that it " talks to you"... heh heh,  and that
it impresses your buddies with equally strange cravings...   and that is
important, after all... maybe most important ???

Another consideration, is that if you an idiot, and put values on things
depending on what someone else would or did pay for the equivalent item, God
help you, you need more help than we earthly amatuers here can provide (g).
You probably have a future selling cucumbers on the street, in .. say ....
Turkey or Kurdistan .... or Southern Missouri, ....   trading coon hounds
and horses ....

******
I suggest that you budget for what this thing is going to do for you, and
how long will it do it ......  I like to compare my fun cars to the gold
standard, The Neon ( chrysler ) ... a fun little car for the bucks ...
nevermind that I actually do not * have * a Neon (g) ...  ( being because
when I was looking for a sporty Neon, a drunken Eagle Talon Sales guy gave
me a good deal on onna them.. heh heh, gone in 60 seconds ...  I have had it
for some 18 years now, and only drive it for fun ... it is awesum for
playing boy Ralleye Driver ...   )...

So ...  I like what the V8Vairs do for me, and for a price that is so far a
little less than a sporty Neon would have been ...  I have had 3 v8Vairs, in
various conditions, and they fill a need ....  mainly brutal torque thru the
first 3 gears, and a large amount of reliability considering that level of
performance ....  plus, at the same time, still getting all the attention
that a corvair gets from " people" ...  smiles, waves, One of the few cars
that pretty young girls yell at me clear across a parking lot, and approach
and talk to me about the car ...  Hey, that is worth a couple bucks right
there !!!

So:  if it talks to you, and you are aware of the down sides ( compared to a
Neon ( heh ) ) ....   to heck with the price, you are burning time that you
could be out driving ( ... heh , or working on it ... heh .... )  it.
What if you find out you have terminal cancer next week, and you have never
owned a v8Vair yet?  Heh heh, gotta get your priorities straight (g) ....

Cold$-wise , I have 2 of them right now, want to sell one or the other ....
one a kinda historically interesting, and decently trick ... $10K , (  $6K
less than a new Neon ) and another one, stripped to ugly and mean, for $5K.
Both need a couple days bolt-on fiddling before driving them, and both a
Paint Job ... so budget $4000 to bring one up to cruize night condition.....
or $1000 for a MAACO paint job and hit the " One Lap of Detroit " or
whatever ... these things may be Kings Of the MixMasters ...
I have seen cars similar " condition " as mine from $2500 to $25000 ... but
like those wimmin folks, the sticker price doesn[t always determine the long
term value .......

I would suggest you go take a ride in one ( v8vair ... ) (  drive it, not as
a passenger !!!  ) for an hour before you decide you need one ...
performance wise, they are really not a simple " Can-Am performance on a
Corvair Budget " ...  keep in mind that they weigh about 3000 lbs, not much
less than  a Nostalgic Nova, or a nice 3 year old tweaked Camaro ( both
almost as powerful and usually more civilized ...   )     ...    plus most
of them have limited leg room  .... plus you are setting on a very noisy
engine that tries to fry you with about 600 heat loss horses ...  definitly
pull on your WildChild t-shirt before you crank up for a test drive.  I
think of them as the equivalent of a P-51 Mustang ... only when they are in
combat do these square pegs fit into those square holes ...

**********
Oh,  I might mention practical reliability ...  the biggest concern is
apparently with the trans/diff ...  I DO NOT drag race mine, and ease thru
low gear; the engines are street prepped 350, shifting about 5400 at most...
I have had one about 20 years and the other one 15 years or so, with no
failures or funny noises so far in any drive train parts ....  I knew a
local that raced the vair drive train in his SBC-kit car GT40, ran it hard
and never blew it ...
but still   ....  if you want a drag car, buy a nova .. camaro ... mustang
... and race cheaper , I would think.

Hope this helps... ken campbell, SW Iowa
deltainc at grm.net 641 763 2271 work