[V8Vairs] Saginaw side plate conversion.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 21:25:14 EDT 2010

In a message dated 4/19/2010 4:15:02 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
cjwills at msn.com writes:

I did  this on a Kelmark with no problems.  Others have had problems, and
the  fix is to lengthen the selector fork where it goes into the side cover
by  1/8"

Chris Wills

Actually, the easiest way is to put a washer -hardened if possible - in
between the fork and the lever in the side cover. This will push out the lever
 and seat it properly into the synchro. I did this on a Corvair/Corvair (a
Stinger, actually) with a Hurst shifter. I used tubes with welded-in
threaded  ends for adjustment between the side cover and theShifter. I think that
using  "substantial" cables would make it stiffer. It was a little better
that a mostly stock shifter, but not nearly as good as the latest stuff. My
Corsa shifts better than the race car did. Of course the V8 introduces
another  "impediment" to the best shifting. Chris Wills' stuff offers a
substantial  improvement, but it will take some adaptation.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette