[V8Vairs] Saginaw side plate shifter

Tim Barrie tbarrie at meritprecision.com
Tue Aug 3 15:43:02 EDT 2010

Re: 65 Kelmark, Hurst shifter, Morse cables, big car side plate.

Back in April I had asked the group about some shifting problems that I was
having with a big car side plate on a corvair Saginaw. At the time some of
you suggested that I play around with the shift cables and lever lengths
before I work on the forks.  That has not solved the problem.

I had the tranny rebuilt and the side plate installed. This problem came
about fairly quickly after about 50 miles of no shift problems.

My symptoms are a first gear rattle as if something is thrashing around and
an inability to shift from second to third most of the time. Once out of
second going back is not possible without grinding the gears.

It shifts very easily when standing still or when running on jack stands.
Reverse is not a problem.

It is almost as if the first/second fork is not in neutral so the
third/fourth fork can't move.

Does this now sound like a problem with the length of the shift forks or do
I still have shifter problems?

Appreciate the experience and advice. Tim