[V8Vairs] mid engine conversion

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Tue Dec 28 13:27:49 EST 2010

What transaxle to use in a V8 vair is one of the most common questions
asked, especially given the increased scarcity of Crown and Kelmark parts.
Unfortunately, the answer is not easy and I could spend hours explaining
what boils down to this - it is a matter of money and legroom.  Regardless
of what anyone tells you about Audi, Renault and especially Porsche
transaxles being well suited to a V8, they are almost always wrong.  Torque
is the enemy here and none of these transaxles was ever designed to take the
constant 300+ ft/lbs dished out by even a mildly tuned V8.  There are other
concerns regarding mounting and gear ratios and a wrath of other details to
consider.

In the end, there are many manual transaxles that can handle even a
radically tuned V8, but they all cost over $10K.  Under $10K, there is the
Porsche 930 and several sandrail variations based on VW bus cases, most
notably the Mendiola products.  These are very well made, have tons of spare
ratios and parts, and will set you back at least $5K.  If you have short
legs, or are willing to consider a well-built 4.2 litre V6, Arch Evans
automatic transaxle design is a clear winner. No clutch shifting, limitless
gear ratios and absolutely bullet proof for less than $5K.  You end up with
roughly the same leg room as a Crown if you use a SBC, or almost stock
legroom if you use a 4.2 V6.

I know some will argue with my conclusions, sighting friends with 500 ft/lbs
SBCs running reliably through a tranny they grafted off a riding lawnmower,
but the hard truth is that reliable answers to your question cost real money
and there are no short cuts.  I ended up with a 350 ft/lbs SBC running
through a Porsche 930 4-speed, which I regularly abuse with full confidence.
Best of luck.