[V8Vairs] Second Reservoir for Olds V8

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu Jul 15 16:35:28 EDT 2010

Hey kids, here's a question for you.

I have a reverse rotation 4.2L Olds aluminum V8 mounted in the conventional
rear location. The car has a front-mounted, double bypass, radiator. The
cooling pipes follow the usual path under the car in the tunnel.  This
configuration leaves me with high points at both the front and the rear.
Currently, I have a single high pressure reservoir at the back and a bleeder
screw at the high point in the front.

I'm getting tired of bleeding the air from the front and I'm considering a
second high-pressure reservoir at the front just to exchange air for coolant
at that high point.

Here's the question: Am I right in worrying about transfer of coolant levels
between the front and rear reservoirs?  I'm thinking that I have to mount
them at the same altitude - correct? I'm also thinking that when I park or
drive on a grade that coolant will fill the lower reservoir and this doesn't
sound like a good situation.

If mounting a second high-pressure reservoir is a bad idea, do you have any
better alternative ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Craig Nicol