[V8Vairs] <VV> Weight of a V-8 Corvair

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Tue Jun 29 07:55:13 EDT 2010

Here's some additional weights of wheels and tires.

On my vintage race prepped Corvair. I use 13" x 7" (3 1/2" backspace) steel
mini stock wheels from Diamond. They weight 13 Lbs. each. A note here on
these wheels: The drop center is shallow and spaced so it will clear most
disc brake kits where the stock 13" Corvair wheel will not.
Tires are vintage legal Toyo Proxes 205/60Rx13's which weight 20Lbs. each
with full tread. Shaving would reduce the weight some.

My 15" wheels are D-Hole Bassett Light weight steel.
15x8 = 17 Lbs. and 15x7 = 16 Lbs.
The Hoosier Dot R6 tires are 225-45x15 = 21 Lbs. each.

Torque Thrust D 15x7 with 3 3/4" back space aluminum wheels weight 19 Lbs.
each and fit well on late Corvairs.

For further reference a Hoosier 23.0x9.5-15" cantilever road racing slick
weighs 18 Lbs.

Rotating mass in the drivetrain:

Stock 140 flywheel = 14 Lbs.
Dale lightened flywheel = 9 Lbs.