[V8Vairs] Perfect Engine for V-8 Corvair/ Positraction

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Fri Nov 5 19:40:18 EDT 2010

I guess I take a slightly different look at this question.  For me, the
question is what is the ideal transaxle for a mid-engine Corvair?   Many
folks site cost as the reason they build around a Corvair differential, but
then talk about all the money they spent on building them up and having to
take care not to hammer too hard on them when driving.  For me, the real fun
is in driving these cars hard.

Unfortunately, my own research led me to the Porsche 930 as the only
transaxle that was affordable (my criteria was $6K), could be thrashed w/o
concern (under 500 ft lbs of torque) and didn't push you as far forward as a
Crown conversion (I have long legs).  I say unfortunately not because I
don't like the 930, but because it really was the only option that met that
criteria.

Now that I have driven around for a few blissful years in my V8 vair, I now
am beginning to think a conventional automatic coupled directly to a  rear
end like Arch Evans did, or like the C5 Corvette option some are doing, is
the way to go.  The issue is that a V8 coupled to these set-ups has you
chewing on the dashboard again.  And now we come back to the engine.  A well
built 4.3 V6 with a turbo can easily put out 500 bhp and is a full 6"
shorter than a small block V8.  Now you have close to stock legroom, a
really strong engine and a bullet proof transaxle, all for a relatively
affordable price.

What is the ideal mid-engine transaxle for a Corvair?

Jim