[V8Vairs] V-8 and a stock Corsa tach - what I learned today

paulsiano@aol.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 22:11:40 EDT 2010

I have had no operating tachometer in my car. It is going to be tested at the Chrysler proving Grounds Wednesday afternoon.  It needed at tach for that occasion so I installed an inexpensive 8K rpm.tach.  I also hooked up the stock Corsa tach and after adjustment compared them. To my pleasant surprise they were pretty close across the range.  The only problem is the 6K limit of the Corsa tach.  I ran the car through the gears to a 7.5K red-line.  (The engine sounds, without an engine cover, were outstanding!  I don't think I've taken it that high before.)

If I can restrain myself to a 6K red-line, the Corsa tach will probably be just fine.
Time will tell...

A question:  What happens if the limit of the tach is exceeded?  Any permanent damage?

Spark plug wires have been checked to be seated, tire pressure checked, and lug nuts  torqued.  This car is as ready as it will ever be for Wednesday.  I think I'll learn its preformance edges soon.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul