[V8Vairs] 4.56:1 diff explained

paulsiano@aol.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 16:12:03 EDT 2010

The tach I installed for the CPG testing was set to read a six cylinder engine.  Totally my error.  Move the slide switch on the back of the tach to "8" and voilla!...my diff is back to a 3.55.

Frank " the professor" Parker was thinking about what might be going on with the car in the middle of the night, did the math in his head and emailed the correct problem and solution. Frank came over with the right equipment to verify the tach's accuracy across the range. It is now right on the money.  Thank you once again Frank.

I now think the Corsa tach, if I can get it to work properly, will be just fine.  6K is plenty for me.

Don's deadline for the article is today.  He is off to Paris for the auto show tomorrow and will be back Saturday.  He wants to retest the car on Sunday.  During the first test he shifted at the indicated 7.5K redline which in reality was about 6K.  He wants to retest at an actual 7 or 7.5K.  6K in the car without an engine cover sounds like 10k. The numbers should improve. My only hope is the whole thing stays together.

I also want to thank all who took the time to respond.  I am truly one who is "getting by with a llttle help from from my friends."

Paul