[V8Vairs] shift linkage-Porsche/T5 ??

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 24 15:13:45 EST 2011

I am not sure how relevant this will be for Mid-engine conversions, but
here goes.  When I was contemplating the installation of the T5 5-speed kit
into my Corvair, I built a shifter assembly out of the T5 tailshaft housing.
The  tail shaft has the shifter mount in the top (I am speaking of the GM or
Ford  ponycar versions of the T5) I shortened the cut-off housing and
turned it  around. I removed the guideplate from the inside bottom - this part
determined  the shift pattern and was only a stabilizer anyway. The shifting
shaft was cut  at the length to stick out the back of the unit. Like the
original Corvair  assembly, moving the shift ball to the left, rotates the shaft
to the  right, the same with push and pull. The shaft was stabilized by
bushings in  the housing. The other trick thing was I cut off a Corvair shifter
base to about  3/4" high and welded it to the bottom of the T5 shift
housing. That way, the  whole assembly bolted down into/onto the stock shifter
mounting holes of  the Corvair floorpan. It would be up to the user to run the
linkage back to  the shifter input shaft. It would have been easy on the T5,
but with the  powertrain assembly all turned around, it will be much more
involved. This  system would also allow you to utilize the aftermarket
shifters, like Hurst and  B&M that are available for the T5. Since I gave up on
the T5 for my car, I  never installed the unit. I may still have it around
here somewhere, but I think  I lent it to a prospective T5 installer.

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 12/24/2011 9:51:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,