[V8Vairs] Camber

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu May 12 16:12:25 EDT 2011

In a message dated 5/12/2011 12:44:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jim.acker at comcast.net writes:

Geometry  is tricky.  The travel is an arc, so you always want both arms
parallel  or higher at the wheel.  This avoids positive camber at the
beginning of  the travel.  The degree to which your arc creates negative camber is
math  I don't know, but I applied a basic assumption that seemed to work.  If
 you make the distance the same from the center of the drive shaft to where
 both arms attach, on both ends, you have a perfect parallelogram.  Now,
build your mounts so the upper arm is slightly shorter (I think I picked an
inch shorter).  As the travel moves up, the shorter arm follows a shorter
arc and creates negative camber.

Jim  Acker

So Jim - I guess that could be described as the Acker-man  effect!   (grin)

 I would be interested in a graph of the actual camber as it goes  through
the full up down travel. But I don't quite understand. If you are  running
fixed length driveshafts, why are you running an upper link - or are you  no
longer running an upper link? Also a note, the shorter upper link will
provide increased negative camber under droop as well.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA