[V8Vairs] cooling

RHargr8188 at aol.com RHargr8188 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 23:28:57 EDT 2012

check out these 18" fans, they pull a lot of air. Wire size is important!

_http://www.ebay.com/itm/190590249355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984
.m1423.l2649_
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/190590249355?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

Doug

In a message dated 8/22/2012 8:08:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
GnKHOFFMAN at aol.com writes:

My  16" shrouded electric fan doesn't have a footprint big enough to cover

the entire backside of the 31"wide 19" tall radiator, but still pulls
enought  air thru to cool nicely.  Checking for full voltage at  the fan
(as
mentioned by others) is important too.  AND, I  found I had initially wired
the wrong wire on my electric fan (it  was the slower speed).

I changed my exit air from the fender wells to  the bottom of the trunk,
and
put a Camero front spoiler on to help force  air in.  I was on the road
racing track last April when the  fuse blew on my electric fan.  And at
speed
I had plenty of air  to keep the water temp at 190 degrees even without the

fan.   Shrouding on the front of the radiator (to force all the air thru
the
radiator) is important too.

Having enough timing advance helps (but  not TOO much our you will have
detonation).  Higher octane fuel  helps too.

Water wetter helps (but is more effective in lowering  temperature if run
with straight water than if run with an  antifreeze/water mix).

I am running antifreeze/water mix, and I am able  to have a temp of 170
degrees (and I fought cooling problems for a  long time, ultimatly finding
that
corrosion from the engine water  jacket had plugged up my then new aluminum

radiator).  Figuring  out what is the problem with any particular setup can

be a real  bugger, but keep after it; you can solve the  problem.

Gary

In a message dated 8/22/2012 2:30:12 PM  Pacific Daylight Time,