[V8Vairs] Charging Problem

paulsiano at yahoo.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 15:08:50 EST 2012

Yesterday while driving my Crown conversion Corvair to a car show in The Villages, FL, I noticed the ammeter read an usually high 30 amps and pulsing to an even higher 60 amps and then back to 30.

Returning home after the show I kept a close eye on the ammeter.  For a while it read a normal slight positive charge and then it went to about 30 amps and seemed to be related to engine speed...higher rpms resulted in a higher amp reading.  Could it be the 46 year old voltage regulator is bad or might there be other places to look?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Paul