[V8Vairs] V8 Registry

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown at navy.mil
Mon Dec 17 13:28:11 EST 2012

All,

I asked Arch how it was going with the registry back in Feb of this
year.  The paragraph below was his response.  My apologies to Arch if
this was meant to be private.  I doubt there has been much development
since then, given his situation.  If anyone has time, money, and website
development skills, please come forward.  I'm sure Arch would be happy
to relinquish the helm.

Toby Brown

   "In short (take a deep breath), Russ turned the V8 registry over to
me last year. I assumed control not realizing that Rick Norris and
especially Russ Brandenburg had been putting hundreds and hundreds of
dollars out of their own pockets into the registry every year. Depending
on where the convention is held the cost of the 'Ted Trevor' and
'People's Choice' awards alone plus shipping can be well over $600
annually. Printing and postage for the news letter is hundreds of
dollars annually as well. The V8 registry has never been self supporting
which is going to have to change. There were issues with the site which
required a complete overhaul. A new host was necessary which required
reformatting as the old site template had become outdated and
unserviceable. A reasonably affordable web designer was located to
update the site. All of this cost money of which I have little as I'd
become disabled in 2008 and am currently living on a fixed income. I
dole out money as I've been able to which as a matter of course is
costing more than expected. The new site was supposed to be up and
running the first of this year (Jan. 1 2012) but the server went down in
December and we had to start over from scratch... And that is what's
going on with the V8 registry to date. ADE"