[V8Vairs] Wheels and Tires

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Jun 15 13:59:35 EDT 2012

I've found that 0,0,0 caster, camber, toe seems to work fairly well for me on my '65.  "kingpin leading distance"  do you mean caster?  The KPI still gives it some stability.  It's a little squirrely on the brakes hard into a rough corner but that is probably just because I still have too much rubber in the suspension.  My '82 Malibu front is setup the same but with no rubber and it's great.  The steering won't snap to center like a lot of caster will do and if you aren't looking where you are going it's easier to wander off but it isn't like herding cats either.
I have 16x8 IROC Camero wheels on both cars with 245/45 tires all the way around.  The IROC wheels don't require any spacers but you do have to use the correct front or rear wheels.  The offset is 3/4" different front to rear if I remember correctly.  I think I have rears for all 4 wheels on my '65 but I can check if anyone cares.  Extending the control arms would have to end up better in the long run.
Full disclosure:  My '65 isn't a V8.
Joel McGregor
From: v8vairs-bounces at corvair.org [v8vairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Ken Campbell [deltainc at grm.net]
Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] Wheels and Tires

 I may move the upper A arm down or out to improve the camber gain.  I
appreciate the comments on the BMW wheels.
Thanks,
Chris Wills
*
moving a arm base location up / down will affect roll stiffness   ... this
gets complicated but can bite you ....unintended consequences, i think they
call it.

dang tradeoffs !   (g)

you might consider moving your projected kingpin leading distance back
toward your tire contact patch....this will give easier steering effort
along with faster response ...heh heh it also makes the car a bit squirrely

when you push something in here, something else pops out there !  (g)

ken