[V8Vairs] Front Suspension Mods

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 12:23:14 EDT 2012

An inexpensive solution to the camber slope is to put a balljoint with a longer stud in the upper a-arm.  This was easier with a new set of tubular upper a-arms, but the stock arm can be modified to accept them.  The easiest technique is to order a threaded set from Speedway Motors with the weld-in threaded bung.  Make sure you get the 7 degree angle, as many have a 10 degree and require you to ream the spindle. This will have the same effect as moving the pivot point down, which accelerates the rate negative camber increases as the suspension compresses.  I was also able to correct my Ackerman with 15" wheels by shortening a stock set of steering arms and moving them just inside the inside lip of the wheel with the tie rod end on.  After trying r&p, I have returned to a stock box and tie rods.  Just ordered an EPAS unit to assist with the now brutal steering resistance at low speed.