[V8Vairs] Porsche 944 T/A??

Marty Scarr martyscarr at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:28:10 EDT 2012

The UY code is from a 1987-88 944 turbo, it is known as an "083" transaxle,
which is very similar to the Audi 5000 transaxles known as the 016.  The
083 ring and pinion is stronger than the 016, this is due to a larger front
pinion bearing, and the ring gear is .3" larger.

The transaxles from the 944 do not have any provision for a clutch release
bearing, since the were remotely coupled to the engine via a torque tube.
 Additionally they have a different input shaft; it is designed for a
spline coupler rather than a pilot bushing.

hth
Marty Scarr