[V8Vairs] Mechanics and Corvair popularity

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Sep 4 20:32:32 EDT 2013

The issue is no longer limited to Corvairs. Anything having points,
carburetor, and no diagnostic port is tough these days. Yeah, cars with
this technology are simple if you're schooled-up but this older stuff is
Greek to modern mechanics.  Remember, points went away 40 years ago and
they haven't made a car with a carburetor in 25 years.

I write mechanic's training courses and my motto is: I teach new guys
old stuff and old guys new stuff.  My old car skills are in constant
demand.  I watched a "Chasing Classic Cars" episode where Wayne visited
McPherson College of auto restoration; looking for possible recruits.
One of Wayne's interview questions was to identify a set of points. Most
of the kids were unable to identify the parts.  You just have to seek
out the right kind of shop. Making a points and carburetor car run is
dead simple so if it's Greek to the guy with the screwdriver you're in
the wrong shop.
Craig Nicol