[V8Vairs] Getting a V8 car certified

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Aug 2 17:30:13 EDT 2014

Hi Gord,

You might clarify a few things for us:

 - Where are you located?
 - The certification you're talking about - is it possible to get some sort of 'historic' or 'vintage' registration that is less onerous?
 - Are there any other shops in the area?  Do you know anyone local who might be able to suggest one that is a little more 'old hot rod' friendly?

Here in Virginia, we have mandated yearly safety inspections.  Some inspectors are more of a pain than others, I'm lucky to have found one that works with me and nails the really important stuff but doesn't go looking for some strange excuse to fail the car (the shops also do repairs, so you can see how there could be a little conflict of interest).  For the Corvairs, we have Antique registration available - limited use, but no inspection required.  You can still get a defective equipment ticket from a cop, but it's good for those 'works in progress'.  Finally, all that's required on an old car is what was needed in the year of manufacture.

--Bryan