[V8Vairs] How many Crown kits were sold and what is the best guess of how many are on the road these days?

Archibald Evans ade383 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 8 15:32:13 EST 2019

Ted told me he ordered 15,000 full size Saginaw output shafts from GM in 1967 to modify for CorV8 kits. Yes that is not a typo, fifteen thousand. I was stunned when he told me too. GM sent a team (8-10 as I recall the story) of engineers to Crown Mfg. because they thought there was a defect. When Ted showed them what he was up to they all had a good laugh and went back to GM reporting no issues. Ted said he estimated 5 thousand conversions went for Corvairs, 5 thousand for kit cars (Mantas, Lazer 917s and such) and 5 thousand for buggies and off road cars... ADE