[V8Vairs] How many Crown kits were sold and what is the best guess of how many are on the road these days?

lanning14 at aol.com lanning14 at aol.com
Sat Nov 9 15:17:32 EST 2019

ADE
It's good to hear from you. Hope that you are feeling better these days.
What you are reporting sounds rather surprising, but if you heard it from the horses mouth, that's good enough for me. The number of Crown kits produced in Ted's shop that I've heard reported over the years only numbers around 1500 or slightly higher. That's a whole lot less than the number that you are reporting, but maybe Ted sold a bunch of output shafts that were not part of his kits.

I'm just curious, why would anyone order that many output shafts in one year? I understand that the price would be less per unit in large quantities. Do you think that GM required an order of that size for them to do business with you? That many shafts would last a long time unless your business was booming. In the day at a conservative price, what would estimate the value of 15,000 output shafts?
I plan to copy your email and place it in my Ted Trevor file along with other tidbits of information. I have a contact in CA who was the Crown office manager. If her number is still active, I'll ask her if she remembers ordering that many shafts in 1967.
Thanks for this piece of history.
John