<VV> Who's tracking the Yenko Stinger history?

Christopher E Nicholson censport@juno.com
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:00:20 -0600

This past Sunday night, I was at a drive-up ATM in the '63 sedan I drive
everyday. This red SSR pulls in behind me, so I pull up to reassemble my
wallet. This elderly gentleman jumps out of the passenger seat of the SSR
and comes running over to my Corvair....

"Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen one of these!"

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

"I used to race a Stinger."

"Sir, you have my undivided attention!"

Turns out this guy is an automotive journalist who started racing with
the '63 Targio Florio. He's written for Automobile, Car & Driver, etc.
The SSR was this week's test vehicle for him to review. A team he drove
for back in the day was running two cars prepped by Don Yenko, a Corvette
and a Stinger. His team raced the cars in Europe, where they only had a
trailer for the Corvette. Guess who drove the Stinger from racetrack to
racetrack, all over Europe? My new buddy.

I asked if he was willing to share his memories with a Yenko historian
and he agreed, with the disclaimer that he couldn't remember that much
anymore. Hopefully once someone starts asking him the right questions,
it'll come back to him. If whoever is compiling the history will contact
me, I'll put you in touch with this distinguished gentleman next week
(I'm going to Mid-Ohio with a 944 Turbo racecar this weekend).

Just goes to show the importance of driving our Corvairs all the time:
You never know who you'll meet!

Chris Nicholson
Nashville, TN
'63 700 sedan 84/PG (daily)