<VV> ac

John Kepler bigjohnohio@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:54:38 -0500

> I believe GM never used the York compressor, Ford and Chrysler did. GM
used
> the Frigadaire (Harrison) A-6 axial compressor in the Corvair era.

Do remember that the entire concept of "factory air" was relatively new in
the 60's, and remained a dealer-installed option into the early 70's.  I
knew of several dealerships in that era (including two major northwest-Ohio
Pontiac and Chevy dealers) that had contract arrangements with "Non-Factory"
AC Kit firms, and installed them rather than the "Factory" kit unless the
buyer positively insisted!  So, with the Frigidaire swash-plate A-6
compressor well on it's way to earning it's evil reputation, and the
"Non-Factory" kits using primarily the more reliableYork or Chrysler
"Air-Temp" compressor, it's not at all unsual to find a downtown York or
Air-Temp installation in a 60's GM product!

John