<VV> 67 4 Speed

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:16:53 -0500

While removing the drive train from my 67, I discovered that two of the bottom
bosses (or what-ever you call them) on my differential were busted. (both on
the same side).  One of the bolts was completely out (totally unusable boss)
and the other lower bolt was cross threaded and very crooked (boss cracked).
The crown bracket was bent, but looks as though it could be straightened. The
crown bracket  was being held on by the two bolts on the side, and of course
all of the bolts on the other side.  I have two other differentials, but both
have P/G transmissions, and the numbers on the cases do not match up with the
numbers on my 4 speed.  I had hoped I could swap out the case, but it appears
that they are different enough (numbers) that I need to have more information
on this before proceeding.  If I cannot use one of the other housings, is it
possible to weld studs in where the bosses are broken, or is it a basket case,
and if so please advise me what I need to look for.  I was told this is not
uncommon if the struts have the nylon type bushings, which this car also has.
What is the benefit of nylon bushings as opposed to the rubber type. I can
definitely tell they are different from my 65 that has the standard rubber
bushings. Thanks for any advice.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.