<VV> 8-door sold / Corvair books / Tech Guide query

alan WESSON sidevalve@sidevalve.fsnet.co.uk
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:52:32 +0100

Hi

I have managed to sell the 8-door - only 2 bids on eBay, but a local guy saw
it there and came and bought it from me for nearly the reserve I had on it,
so I am not too embarrassed financially by the transaction!

He's a lovely guy, so I will give him all the advice I can on how to fix the
clutch and jug problems, and as he didn't screw me down I feel warm towards
him and am going to throw in a pile of my Corvair literature. I will let him
have mostly stuff that I can re-buy when I come over to Hershey and save on
the postage - that way, he will get them much more cheaply than he would
have done (because he'd have paid postage) and I won't have to pay too much
for replacements.

It strikes me that it would be very kind of me if I let him have my copy of
the Tech Guide, and as I won't be driving a Vair until I come over in
October I can be without it until then, whereas it will be very, very useful
to him when he is fixing the clutch and jug!

My question, though, is: how much does it cost? I thought it was advertised
in Corsa Communique, but I can't find it! I see to remember it was about
$40, in which case I will be happy to let him have it as that's only about
22 GBP at current rates - but before I tell him he can have it I just wanted
to check a) that it's still available; and b) that it isn't $200!! Could
someone who knows let me know? Thanks in advance...

I thought I would also let him have the shop manual as I have no more
Earlies (Lates are better!), and I will also throw in an Underground
catalogue and a Clark's catalogue. I might throw in a Fingertip Facts -
anyone tell me how much a replacement would cost me, and if they are
available? It's one of my favourite Vair books, so I don't want to let it go
if I can't replace it!

I don't think I will let him have The Corvair Affair by Mike Knepper because
I think it's out of print, and likewise The Assassination of the Corvair
(although I think it's not a v. good book) or the Corvair SAE Papers, which
I guess is out of print?? I think I will recommend that he buy his own copy
of How To Keep Your Corvair Alive, because I read it a lot.

Anyone think I'm getting it wrong?

Cheers and thanx

Alan