<VV> Needle bearings in late 4-speeds

Jim Simpson simpsonj@bellatlantic.net
Sun, 04 Apr 2004 21:31:11 -0400

Ok gear heads, how many needle bearings are REALLY in the "clutch gear" of
a late ('66 - '69) 4-speed?  These are the small needle bearings that go
inside the gear at the forward end of the transmission on the main shaft --
GM part # 7451240, identified as "Pilot Bearings" #35 in the '66 shop
manual supplement exploded view (fig 6B) or #39 in the cross-section view
(fig 1B).

The shop manual says there are 76 in the 3-speed section (figure 6A, Clutch
Gear & Mainshaft Assembly -- Exploded).  Supposedly the three and four
speed transmission are the same in this area.  The Corvair dealer's parts
book says 72.  I counted 74 when I disassembled the transmission.  And an
older OTTO parts catalog says 74.  (I do not know if this transmission has
ever been opened before, so no guarantee that it had the "right" number.)

Ok so who is right?  I haven't tried packing them in yet to see just how
many will actually fit, but I know 74 WILL go in there.  Will 76 fit?  Does
it matter?  (I have 72 new ones and cannot reuse any of the originals --
they are all pitted from rust...)

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this.

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair -- rapidly becoming more familiar with the inner
workings of 4-speeds than he really wants.