<VV> KS autocross report

AeroNed@aol.com AeroNed@aol.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:31:32 EDT

All,

We had our second autocross event of the season. It was held in a parking lot
at Raytheon (formally Beechcraft). The name Beech was very appropriate as the
lot has plenty of sand. We spend a couple of hours after setting up the cone
sweep and shoveling sand. Needless to say it was a very slippery. I set up the
rear suspension with lots of negative camber, about half available. The car
was already loose and with the conditions of the lot, it's a good thing I put
that camber in. I ran second to last in the first heat. I was somewhat
apprehensive on my first run since just about everyone running before me was spinning
all over the place. I was totally surprised how well the rear end was staying
under the car. I continued to push this "new" car in the next runs. I hit my
first cone ever on the second run, then just to make sure it was dead, I hit
the same cone on the third run. I pushed too far on the fourth run and spun the
car taking out two innocent cones in the process. I was under pressure on my
fifth and final run to get a good, clean, fast run. I was somewhat conservative
in the areas where I spun and hit cones on the previous runs. I had the good
clean run.

The car was much more fun to drive, not being as loose as it was at the last
event. There were a few 'high speed' turns where the car was actually pushing.
The engineer in me wants to somehow track my progress by a measurable
quantity. So, I'm calculating my times as a percentage of the FTD. My best time from
the first event was 130% of FTD and yesterday's time was 117%. I also noticed
that there are more cars behind me on the overall time sheet.

It will be almost 2 months before my schedule will let me run again. I'm
going to get some Falken tires and wheels before the next event. I'm sure having a
ball!

Ned