<VV> Engine Problem....What to do?

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:53:34 -0500

OK, See below... in your text.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140

----- Original Message -----
From: <ChiefTAM@aol.com>
To: <UltraMonzaWest@aol.com>
Cc: <virtualvairs@skiblack.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: <VV> Engine Problem....What to do?

> I have taken the rocker cover off, and with #4 at TDC I can wiggle the
rockers a little, with no apparant breakage of a rocker or a valve spring,

So, what is the comparative height if the rockers on #4?  Does it seem like
one has less travel up as high or as far as the other(s)?  That would
indicate a seat that is partially out and blocking the travel of the valve.
If that is what you see, it IS the seat.  However, since the seat could have
fallen back into place, this phenomenon may not be readily noticeable.

 is the concensus that there is a problem with the valve seat and that the
head will have to come off?

I don't know about a consensus, this is just my current best guess based on
the description of how all this started in the first place.

> I suppose it can happen to any engine, but with only 49,000 miles, not
getting the engine hot that I know of, at least certainly not in the last 4
years, and only using about 1/8th of a quart of Mobil 1 in almost 1000
miles, how common is it in a 110 that a valve seat would come out?

The lack of oil consumption would tell me that the rings are probably
fine... some wear (minor), but not excessive and probably no broken ring.
It is fairly unlikely that you would break a ring unless that cylinder was
somehow full of carbon near the top of the cylinder.

Anyway, once you pull the head you will see if it is the seat.  Next step
(since you are there anyway and it is not that much more work) is to slide
the jugs off to check the rings and the pistons as well.  You have a ring
compressor, right?  You are also going to need appropriate (new) gaskets
when you put things back together.

Later, JR