<VV> > Engine Problem....What to do?

Mikeamauro@aol.com Mikeamauro@aol.com
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:05:51 EDT

virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> From: "John Kepler" <bigjohnohio@worldnet.att.net>
> To: <virtualvairs@skiblack.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> Engine Problem....What to do? (long, please bear with
>   me)
> Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:57:52 -0400
>
> > Today, I bought a compression tester.  Here are the results on a cold
> engine.
>

> Just as a general question to all.  While a straight compression test is one
> indicator of cylinder condition, it leaves a lot of unknowns.  Doesn't
> anyone do leak-down tests anymore to determine if you have a bad
> rocker/lifter rather than just ripping the engine apart?  If I had a bad
> hole in a race engine, step two was always a leak-down!
>
> John

John...My point exactly with my previous post recommending pressurizing the
suspect cylinder, with valves in closed position, and then listening for where
the air may be leaking from (and is one has a leak down tester, use it).
Can't understand why this tried and proven diagnostic method doesn't seem to get
an audience here.  I guess most Corvair owners just like to tear everything
down and ask questions later?
Mike Mauro